Sunday, April 10, 2016

Post #10: What I Don't Like About Homeschooling #2

  Ugh...here I am...behind again!  This is what I do NOT like about homeschooling.  Homeschooling can be hard.  Why?  Because it is so easy to slip and fall behind on work.  I mean, there technically are no deadlines (unless your mom sets them, like most do), and you usually do not have to go to class early in the morning.  This makes it easy to start out slow and not stay as focused and on task.  In essence, it is really a lot like college--you don't have a teacher constantly checking up on you for 7+ hours every day!  It is true, motivation is a problem with most people, regardless of what type of school they attend, but I think it is especially hard for homeschoolers.  At least, it was for me.  And trust me, this does not apply to everyone, because there are some super dedicated homeschoolers out there--I'm just not one of them...at least not to that extent.  That is why I think it is important for parents of smaller homeschoolers to help their kids form habits of finishing their work diligently.  Then, when they are older they have to learn for themselves how to set personal deadlines and self-motivate.  The fact that homeschoolers are forced to motivate themselves and ascribe their own intrinsic value to accomplishing tasks isn't really a bad thing, though.  I think that once this is conquered, it is extremely invaluable to the individual in the long run.  Since they have already learned how to operate without the constant supervision of a teacher, they are more prepared to work hard and be successful on their own in real life situations.  In this sense, I view it as a blessing in disguise.  But, remember, I claimed this applies to all you college students, too--it does!!  So just do it!  Grit your teeth and tackle that project you've been avoiding!  Set a time limit and find out how far you can push yourself!  You never now, you just might learn a few things in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment